The star of Turkish Riviera, welcoming around 15 million tourists each year, Antalya is known as the leading resort tourism destination of Turkey. Of course, the Covid-19 pandemic negatively affected resort tourism. But you do not necessarily need to limit yourself within resorts to be able to enjoy Antalya. Located on the central Mediterranean coast of Turkey, Antalya offers its visitors a wide range of attractions, from natural beauties to historic landscapes. We have squeezed all the interesting reasons to visit Antalya into four cups for you. Imagine them as fresh orange juice. Enjoy!
4 Amazing Reasons to Visit Antalya
1 – A rich history of diverse cultures
Once upon a time, there was a fearless Ancient Greek king named Attalos. He was once the ruler of the majestic Pergamon Kingdom as well as the founder of the harbour city Attalea (today’s Antalya) around 150 BC. From then on, the city was ruled by various civilizations such as Roman, Byzantine, Seljuk, and Ottoman.
The old town area, Kaleici is an important example of cities that had continuous settlements over 2.000 years. Even though, the major part of today’s historic landscape of Kaleici represents the Ottoman Era of the medieval age, there are numerous monuments, artifacts, and ruins around the metropolitan area which belong to antiquity.
Explore more of the cultural and historical values of Antalya:
- Xanthos-Letoon: One of the first designated UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Turkey
- Aspendos Theatre: The best-preserved ancient amphitheater in the world.
2 – Adventurous Antalya
Antalya may be known as a mass tourism destination, however the city’s surroundings have a lot to offer for adventure seekers. Here is a list of adventurous activities in Antalya that maybe your reason to visit.
- Rock climbing: Geyik Bayırı village which is around 30 kms to Antalya center is a world-class rock-climbing heaven.
- Diving: When it comes to scuba diving, you have many options. Although you can dive even in Antalya center, Kaş and Kemer are the most popular locations. Moreover, there are a couple of wreck diving sights in Antalya.
- Rafting: Köprülü Canyon in Manavgat is your address for thrilling rafting experiences which offers 14 kms of a rafting track.
- Skiing: 60 kms from Antalya, Saklikent could be your winter resort at your weekends.
3 – Wonders of Nature
If you are a nature lover, then Antalya could be your new place to be. Apart from the unspoiled striking green nature which still is a home for the wildlife, Antalya has great valleys and canyons to widen your soul, and waterfalls to make you feel in tranquility.
- Köprülü Kanyon National Park
- Altinbesik Cave National Park
- Ucansu, Kursunlu, Duden Waterfalls
- The butterfly valley
- Tazi Canyon
4 – Heaven of Beaches
Antalya is one of those few cities which offers variety options of blue flagged beaches within its urban center. Even though the most iconic beach of central Antalya is a 7 km long Konyaalti beach, there are strikingly beautiful beaches in Antalya province.
- Patara Beach
- Kaputas Beach
- Cirali Beach